Author Topic: Empty Accounts Purge  (Read 6926 times)

Sam

Empty Accounts Purge
« on: May 18, 2009, 05:56:52 pm »
First off - where have I been since goodness knows how long? The answer: doing A Levels :(  But I've only got one exam left and that's on Tuesday, so you've got me back.  Lucky you. :P

Secondly, I was going through the user database today (mostly looking for the cause of this new user registration error), when I noticed something odd.  On closer investigation, I discovered that there are no less that 569 users registered on this site who have never visited nor even bothered to confirm their e-mail address.  That's 569 potential names taken from new users who may want them, 569 useless slots clogging up space and slowing down our site.

That's not fair on the people actually using this site.  Nor to the people who want those user names and can't have them because someone can't be bothered to visit.

This is the plan:  every user that has never visited the site nor confirmed their e-mail address by the 1st June 2009 will be erased permanently from the database in order to free up potential names, space and speed up the site.  In order to avoid deletion, users must log in and engage in the forum at least once between now and 1st June.

Hope that's fair.

(And it's good to be back.  ;) )

Offline Stormwell

• Military Liaison Officer
  • Timelord
  • Keep Calm And Carry On!
    • View Profile
Re: Empty Accounts Purge
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:46:06 pm »
Just to confirm, the 'Bulk Email' feature works Sam.

Also, any account that uses an email containing '@mail.ru' is guaranteed 99.9% to be a spambot...as a result I've added that email address to the ban filters.

Oh and its good to have ya back mate.

Offline boinng

• Companion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 11:32:56 am »
Just a note about that bulk email feature - unfortunately you (or it) didn't BCC anyone's addresses, so I now have a list of everyone else's email addresses on this site, and so does everyone else you sent that too - including the 569 spambots on that list.

So tempted to "reply to all"...

Offline Magz

• The Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 11:43:20 am »
Gaahh!!!!!!

Be Ready

Offline Zeg

• The Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 11:43:48 am »
Aggghhhh!!!!!!!

Brilliant, not!  :(

Offline Flare

• Slitheen
  • I AM THE LAST SURVIVOR
    • View Profile
    • Lionnet
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:33:03 pm »
please keep my account active, i am not one of those people who forget what they have done 3 secs ago...

When the EAP has happened, i'd be interested to know how many users were left.

Sam

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:05:53 pm »
I'd like to offer an unreserved apology to everyone involved about this mass e-mail cock-up.  I'm not making any excuses - it was a mistake on my part and I alone am to blame for not thinking enough when sending it.  I'm sorry for the upset I've caused and will think more carefully in the future.  You all now have the right to call me a pillock whenever you want.

please keep my account active, i am not one of those people who forget what they have done 3 secs ago...

Don't worry - if you've posted at least once in the forum or the old blog comments feed the system will recognise you as a visitor.  This purge is only subject to users who have registered a name but never visited.

Offline Beth

• Companion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:42:04 pm »
I was under the impression that this site disappeared into another dimension ages ago. Guess that's what you get from reading bulletins on other sites... Sorry!

Offline Magz

• The Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 08:47:03 pm »
Great to see you here! Yep - we're alive and going strong!
Just shout if you need any help or whatever :)

Be Ready

Offline Flare

• Slitheen
  • I AM THE LAST SURVIVOR
    • View Profile
    • Lionnet
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 10:08:54 am »

Offline Magz

• The Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 10:11:09 am »
Yay! Nice one Flare :)

Be Ready

Offline Drifter

• Companion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 11:06:45 am »
I send my apologies for being such a rubbish member. I always seem to be too busy with work and stuff- anyone who knows me will tell you! Well, I guess that is why I got my nickname...!

Offline Magz

• The Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 12:23:34 pm »
No worries! Just pop in and see us from time to time whenever you can. :)

Be Ready

Offline mjh09

• Companion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 02:57:54 pm »
Thanks for the Spamming guys!

Only kidding - did the same thing my first week in my current job and had loads of angry parents screaming that I'd released their children's email details to the world! Whoops.

Sorry I haven't been around for a while - loved this site when it was the spoof Vote Harold Saxon one and I followed it every day. Am interested in getting involved in this new roleplay mullarkey so hope this stops me getting the boot in June.

Cheers.

Offline Stormwell

• Military Liaison Officer
  • Timelord
  • Keep Calm And Carry On!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 12:32:57 am »
Caught a spambot and nipped it in the bud.

Updated the ban filters, the more we catch then the less that will be able to get in.