Author Topic: Resistance Background  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Stormwell

• Military Liaison Officer
  • Timelord
  • Keep Calm And Carry On!
    • View Profile
Resistance Background
« on: November 17, 2008, 12:56:38 pm »
*Linkage*

Just a brief timeline to figure out the background to the RP.

~

1908, Tunguska event.

1914-18, The Great War, the US does not join in the conflict.

1917, Russian Revolution is crushed leaving Russia under Tsarist rule.

1921, Russia initiated a communications blackout with the rest of the world, and built a wall against its European border called the "Red Curtain". Word spreads of small towns, villages, and eventually cities in Russia and Eastern Europe that are destroyed within a single night. A strange cold front also develops over Russia and spreads outwards. European intelligence agencies attempt to listen in on Russian radio stations, only to hear a single message repeated over and over: "Brotherhood, Strength, and Fortitude...in the face of the angry night."

1922-1949, the 'Cold War'. Weary of an invasion by an isolationist Russian Empire, a prosperous European alliance is formed thus helping to avoid the Great Depression and the rise of the Nazis in Germany, and World War II. European military and Intell units watch the Red Curtain, teams sent into Russia disappear and fail to return. The British Empire reviews and strengthens its defences round India and in the Far East, focused on the land approaches.

December 1949, the Red Curtain is suddenly breached by numerous Chimeran forces. The Chimera overrun continental Europe by February 1950, leaving very few survivors. The Chimera then proceed to dig underneath the English Channel, invading Britain in late 1950. The bulk of the British forces are wiped out, with the rest fleeing to scattered bases in the northern parts of England. The RAF manages to take the Royal Family and surviving members of Parliment to safety, first in Canada and then Australia.

Torchwood is placed under the direct command of the British Intelligence Corps along with the Royal Marines Commando, effectively becoming the British Resistance group. Torchwood assists with the capture of a Chimeran 'Angel' sometime in late 1950/early 1951, but with great loss of life.

1951, in a deal brokered between Captain Rachel Parker (British Intel and head of the Resistance) and the US Government (who've told the American people that the Chimeran invasion of Europe was another flu epidemic) an American liberation force is sent to Britian in exchange of a 'secert weapon' (the Angel). Operation Morning Star begins in June 1951, but the American forces are ambushed and largely wiped out in York whilst the British convoy is ambushed enroute through Manchester.

Offline Stormwell

• Timelord
    • View Profile
Re: Resistance Background
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:16:15 pm »
A Few Notes;

*Torchwood 3, Cradiff. In this timeline I expect to have been enlarged to at least double its former size. A much larger infirmry along with some barracks and stores. Also exptect it to be better fortified with a defence zone round the bunker complex, this includes sections of Cardiff's sewer network which is heavily monitored.

In the actual game, Cardiff is where the British Resistance retreat to following the loss of Southern Command. ;)

*Jet fighters appear in the second game, though they seemed to be used by the US. Britian may have jets herself, but I expect most of the British planes from WW2 exist in this timeline.

*Technology, some stuff is different with regards to weapons and such like. No WW2 and an isolationist US means no nuclear weapons (but a fission bomb is featured in the second game). Also Britian would had little chnaged compared to 1939 as WW2 did not happen and so no Blitz or large scale building of military bases. Though pillboxes and coastal defences would had probably been built anyway and even improved on.

Offline Stormwell

• Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:37:33 pm »
*The Home Guard I presume would have been formed in the early '20s out of fear of a possible Russian Invasion. As time went by I would expect them to be better equipped and trained than they were in real life, but they were probably the main line of defence...maining those units in the South East would had been wiped out. Those else where had a slightly higher chance of survival and/or probably legged it.

The same could be said of the British Army, though I believe probably two-thirds were wiped out in Europe leaving very little left.

*The RAF I supect got out it could by flying to either Ireland and/or Iceland before flying onto Canada. I do not expect much of the RAF to be left in Britian apart from a few stragglers, there might be some RAF Regiment Gunners around.

*The Royal Navy probably fared better than everyone else, the Fleet Air Arm probably got reinforced by RAF personnel and equipment based on carriers. The Navy might be using some of the islands round the British Isles as possible bases to bring supplies and fuel in for the Resistance and carriers. The Fleet Air Arm would be active on hit-and-run missions against the Chimera.

*British holdings in Asia have probably been overrun or abanoned with the civilian population and military personnel evaced to Austrialia and New Zealand. India might still have a sizable military force watching the northern frontier. Africa I'm not sure on.

Offline Stormwell

• Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 08:03:30 am »

Offline Stormwell

• Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 01:21:12 pm »
Right, I'll be starting the RP within the next week or so.

I'll be splitting it up into different parts, which part will be a year long and I'll begin with 1949. All background info you need is on the following link;

http://resistance.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline/Pre-Invasion

Offline Stormwell

• Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 04:31:01 pm »
Ok, heres what I'm thinking.

Torchwood, in growing response to strange events in Russia, recruits and sets up a a Black Ops unit called the 'Special Duties Section' or SDS for short.

I'll begin the RP in 1948, a year before the Chrimeran Invasion of Europe.

Full details can be found [urlhttp://resistance.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline]*here*.[/url]

Its the pre-Invasion stuff that characters will know.

Offline Stormwell

• Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:02:35 am »
Found a set of videos on Youtube that covers the entire game, worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=N4PXUN9EOgc

May have to copy and paste.